- Admitted to the Bar as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and Bachelor of Arts (History and Political Science), Victoria University of Wellington (Russell McVeagh and Sir Robert Jones scholarships)
- A Bursary: Hutt International Boys’ School (three scholarship awards, including top scholar in NZ in History)
- Hutt Intermediate School, Eastern Hutt School
- June 2013 – present: Senior Advisor to Hon Steven Joyce
- May 2011 – June 2013: Corporate Affairs Manager, Philip Morris New Zealand Limited
- November 2008 – May 2011: Advisor to Hon Gerry Brownlee
- November 2007 – November 2008: Researcher, Office of John Key
- 2007/8 – Tutor of Public Law, Victoria University of Wellington
- 2005/6 – Summer Clerk at Russell McVeagh and Crown Law Office
- 2002 – Gap Year Tutor at Warwick School, United Kingdom
- Young Wellingtonian of the Year (2006)
- Community Trust of Wellington Young Leader Award (2007)
- Winner of the Joynt Scroll (twice), Officers’ Cup (twice) NZ British Parliamentary Champs (thrice), Cambridge Union Intervarsity, Sydney Union Intervarsity, and the Parliamentary Shield
- Three New Zealand University Blues for Debating and four Victoria University Blues
- Blesdisloe Award for Oratory, 2005
- Runner-up at the 2007 Australasian Intervarsity Debating Champs; octo-finalist at 2005 and 2008 World Champs
- Winner of the Bell Gully Mooting Competition at Victoria University of Wellington (2007)
- Winner of the Minter Ellison Witness Examination Competition at Victoria University of Wellington (2007)
- NZ Schools’ Debating Council – President (2008-12), Vice President (2006-8), Executive Officer (2004-5, 2012-present)
The Council organises secondary schools debating in New Zealand, including nine regional schools debating competitions held around the country, and the National Championships held in Wellington each year. It also selects the New Zealand Schools’ Debating Team which competes at the annual World Champs. I have served on the Council Executive since 2004, and spent four years as President. My involvement over the years has ranged from coaching (I coached regional teams for a number of years, as well as the NZ Team), adjudication (thirty regional tournaments on weekends around NZ and counting, as well as at the World Champs), and administration.
- Convenor of the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships, held in Wellington in July 2006
The Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships is the second largest debating competition in the world. In 2006 it involved over 350 students from more than ten different countries in an eight day competition. I had overall responsibility for the organisation of sponsors, accommodation, debating venues, participant welfare, and social events. I oversaw a budget with a turnover of over $500,000, and a committee of eleven people which worked for eighteen months to organise the tournament. The competition involved an opening ceremony at Te Papa, an exhibition debate at Parliament, a 400 person formal dinner, a comedy debate on the Wellington waterfront, and over 300 preliminary round debates.
I won the Wellingtonian of the Year (Youth section) award for my efforts in organising the competition.
- Victoria University of Wellington Debating Society (life member) – President (2007-8), Vice-President (2006), Secretary (2004), Executive Member (2005)
The Debating Society is Victoria’s oldest club and the most successful debating society in New Zealand. I served on the Executive Committee for six years in a variety of capacities, including two terms as President. This role involved the administration of the society’s affairs, leading a committee of eleven people, and the organisation of events and competitions for over 140 student members.
- Wellington Speaking Union – President (2007-9), Treasurer (2010-11, 2013-present)
The Union organises schools debating in the Wellington region. As President I oversaw five debating grades for over 160 teams and 600 students, arranging adjudicators, topics, and events throughout the year. I continue to be involved as the Treasurer of the organisation.
- Australasian Intervarsity Debating Association – President (July 2006 – July 2007)
I spent a year as the President of the body which oversees debating in the Asia-Pacific region. I chaired a Council made up of around 40 universities.
- Trustee of the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation (2008-10)
The Foundation is a charitable trust which raises private funds for projects for the University (e.g scholarships). I was appointed to the Board by the Victoria Students’ Association.
- Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association – Publications Committee (2007)
I was elected by the student body to this committee within the Students’ Association which oversees student media at Victoria University, including appointing the editor of Salient.